Department/Division: Finance – Payroll Division
FLSA Status: Exempt - Non-Represented
Salary Range: $76,882 – 92,259
Manages the day-to-day operations of the payroll department which includes but is not limited to; supervising, hiring, and training payroll staff and performing payroll functions in support of three different pay groups. The payroll manager is responsible for ensuring accurate calculation of wages, tax withholdings, and company deductions for non-represented employees and represented employees in accordance with two distinctive collective bargaining agreements (CBA). This will involve working with Human Resources, Finance, Executive, Union Officials, Managers, Ceridian Dayforce and regulatory agencies.
- Process weekly and biweekly payrolls for 1,000+ employees, monthly payroll for 1,300+ retirees and issue corresponding reports for payroll distribution.
- Monitor and resolve all federal and state tax filing and payments on corresponding websites and within Ceridian Tax Services.
- Investigate and respond appropriately to direct deposit returns and changes.
- Supervise daily payroll operations including timesheet reviews, operator hour imports, and responding to inquiries.
- Maintain the payroll, pay and punch policies, pay group properties, entitlement rules, pay codes, earning and deduction codes and be the functional lead in Ceridian Dayforce’s payroll, timesheet, scheduling and tax modules.
- Accurately interpret the CBA’s and other company policies as they pertain to payroll and entitlements.
- Process FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) against paid time off for all employees.
- Report quarterly and monthly Bureau of Labor Statistics data.
- Coordinate with the Finance department on monthly bank reconciliations and payroll accounting transactions.
- Complete year-end processing and reconciling W-2s, 1099-Rs and year-end totals.
- Continuously improve and update payroll policies and procedures and stay abreast of labor and tax law changes as well as Ceridian Dayforce system updates.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting with three (3) years of payroll management experience preferred.
- Associate's Degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting required with a minimum of four (4) years of progressive payroll-specific experience of which two (2) years were in a supervisory lead capacity required (Related Payroll experience and demonstrated career progression may be considered in lieu of degree requirement).
- Experience processing payroll in union environment strongly preferred.
- May be required to work through Winter and New Year holidays for year-end.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of payroll management and administration, payroll law and payroll practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of Ceridian Dayforce, Oracle and Hastus systems and Excel program.
- Knowledge of Federal and State garnishment and wage assignment laws.
- Knowledge of applicable union contracts and MCTS operations and policies.
- Strong skills in computer operations, spreadsheet, word processing, and payroll calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships.
- Ability to work independently while understanding the bigger picture.
- Ability to multi-task under pressure in a strict deadline driven environment.
- Have the fortitude to withstand and defuse disagreements in pay and always stay true within the boundaries of the company’s policies, CBA and governing laws.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
- Work is frequently conducted in an office or similar indoor environment relatively free from unpleasant conditions or hazards.
- Physical requirements are those described are those described as sedentary work exerting 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Pay Type Salary
- Milwaukee, WI, USA